I received a delivery of Wholefood Pantry staples last week, and didn’t this little set of ingredients just scream chocolate brownie recipe?!
With all the goodness from the coconut oil and good quality eggs, and a bit of a pick-me-up with the cacao, and potassium and vitamins and minerals from the dates, I think these make a nice healthy lunchbox treat. Miss 8 has ordered hers with cream already!
I always hold my breath around the family taste test. After all, I’m using quality organic ingredients which are a bit of an investment, so there’s nothing worse than a recipe flop.
But this one got the family thumbs up, though apparently it’s more of a ‘Brownie Cake’ than a straight-out brownie.
It’s easy to make, lovely and moist, and is extra-delish served with fresh berries in season.
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 2/3 cup Medjool dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or rapadura sugar
- 1/4 cup Thriving protein powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unhomogenised milk or coconut milk if dairy free
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C
- Lightly grease a 20cm square tin and line with baking paper
- Process all the dry ingredients and dates in food processor or Thermomix
- Add wet ingredients and continue to process until just combined (don't overmix)
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin lined with unbleached baking paper, and bake for 20 minutes or until set
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool before cutting into squares
- Enjoy plain or with cream and raspberries
- Thriving Protein Powder, coconut flour, coconut sugar and Cacao powder can be purchased at the Nutra Organics online shop http://bit.ly/1VuyxEy and all other products can be purchased from Organics on a Budget http://www.organicsonabudget.com.au/#aid=1572
Do you bake with coconut flour? I love using it for the occasional healthy treat, but you need to remember that it doesn’t behave like other flour in baking. A small amount of coconut flour sucks up lots of liquid very quickly!
I hope you enjoy my Brownie Cake recipe!