Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie
Quick and easy family meals is the name of the game around here and this recipe answers the brief!
This pie offers perfect healthy comfort food for those cold wintery nights.
My body does better without too much wheat or gluten, so I easily adapt this recipe to suit by keeping a serving of the chicken mix just for me. I enjoy it with the sides suggested in the recipe below. It’s truly delicious!
- Olive oil or ghee
- 1 medium leek, chopped
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 600 grams chicken thigh, diced
- 1/4 cup home-made chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons thick cream
- 300 grams mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon herbamare (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dulse flakes (optional)
- pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 1 sheet of shortcrust or puff pastry - I use the Careme brand or Pampas All-Butter pastry
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Heat some olive oil or ghee in a large frying over medium heat.
- Gently fry leek and onion for a few minutes until translucent, then add garlic and fry for a couple more minutes.
- Add the chicken and fry for approx 10 minutes or until just cooked, stirring it around intermittently.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add spelt flour, stir in and fry for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the liquid, followed by the mustard, herbamare and dulse flakes, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put the chicken mix into a baking dish ( I used was 29cm x 9cm) and cover with the pastry.
- Brush on the lightly beaten egg and using a sharp knife puncture a few slits through the pastry
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden.
- Serve with steamed vegetables, cauliflower mash or big garden salad