Creamy Cauliflower and Bacon Bake
Sometimes I get the impression people think I cook up gourmet meals for my family.
This makes me laugh because, truth be told, the best way to describe dinner around here is ‘grub’!
Often I’ll just throw things together based on what I have left in the fridge and which may match the tastebuds of my family.
I don’t often blog these recipes, but, as mums we are all in the same boat, so I’ve decided to blog my ‘grub’ …
Creamy cauliflower and bacon bake is what I’m talking about here, and while it probably isn’t something Michelangelo might consider art, it’s tasty as (granted, anything with bacon is almost cheating).
Make enough to feed the family with a serving of leftovers for the next day. Our kids loved it on their leftover spelt pasta (a bit of a carbonara vibe) and side salad. For myself, I ate it straight up with a big side of salad. It would actually be pretty delicious with rice too and it’s a perfect side dish to a main meal.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 200 grams bacon, chopped
- 1 tin cannellini or red kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon each paprika, thyme and oregano
- 1/2 cup homemade chicken or vege stock
- 1/2 head broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated
- extra cheese to sprinkle on top
- Heat over to 180 degrees C
- In a large frying pan, fry onion and bacon on medium heat for a few minutes, until onion softens
- Add garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add beans, paprika, thyme and oregano and stir for 30 seconds
- Add stock and stir well and take off the heat
- While the onion and bacon are cooking, chop up cauliflower and broccoli and place in baking dish
- Stir through the onion and bacon mix
- In a small bowl whisk together cream and cheese and pour over cauliflower and broccoli and bacon
- Pop in the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes or until cauliflower and broccoli are tender
- Be sure to stir the bake 2-3 times during cooking
- Once cooked, sprinkle the bake with a handful of cheese, and sprinkle with paprika and grill for 5 minutes until golden brown
- Serve on top of pasta, rice, as a side dish or as is with a garden salad
Onion and bacon fry up
Cut up vegetables on pop in baking tray
Stir through onion and bacon mixture
Stir through creamy cheese sauce and pop in the oven
End result – a bubbling,creamy,cheesy,flavoursome home-style dish.Yum!