Fresh and Raw Zucchini Noodle Salad
Zucchini noodles, zoodles, zucchini spaghetti or, as a friend calls them, ‘Zpagetti’ (lol) are perfect if you follow a grain-free diet … or not!
This recipe is one of many I have developed for my Break Through! Program, which focuses on delicious, satiating meals that encourage weight control. The aim is to create meals that not only taste good and are healthy, but leave you satisfied. This is the way to creating sustainable results with your health and weight goals, transcending the start-stop yo-yo of ‘dieting’.
- 1 large zucchini
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6-8 Kalamata olives pitted and quartered
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Handful of rocket
- Drizzle Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Zest of half a lime
- 1 garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Crumbled goats cheese, optional
- Thinly sliced fresh red chilli or chilli flakes (optional)
- Make zucchini noodles - if you don’t have a spiraliser, use a potato peeler to make thick strips then cut them into thinner strips
- Pop into a bowl with cherry tomatoes, olives, basil and rocket
- Make dressing out of olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, garlic, salt and pepper
- Pour on top of ingredients and gently mix together and if you have time allow to sit for 10 minutes, then it’s good to go with an extra crack of salt and pepper.
- Add crumbled goats cheese and/or chilli if using
Putting this in perspective, Miss 8 here is what I call a zucchini-sceptic. However, having made the zucchini noodles with me and noting how colourful and vibrant they looked, she took the plunge and ended up hooking in! Perhaps it’s more the presentation of the zucchinis that won her over, or perhaps it was the mixture of tastes. Either way, we have a convert on our hands. Just goes to show that anything can happen when you get kids into the kitchen.