Oat, Seed & Date Bars
Yes, it’s true, this is my third recipe featuring dates.
It could have something to do with the fact that being Middle Eastern, growing up, a treat usually consisted of a Medjool date with a walnut stuffed inside. So I just love them.Yum!
You’re going to love this oat slice which is the quickest thing to make, totally scrumptious, and perfect for lunch boxes.
- 125 grams butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (love the caramaly flavour it imparts and goes really well with the dates)
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
- Grease and line a 9 x 22cm loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in small saucepan, once melted keep on very low heat and whisk in the sugar until smooth.
- Turn heat off, add dates and stir through. I highly recommend dipping the finger in to make sure it tastes ok.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour, oats, chia and sunflower seeds and stir until combined.
- Pour into loaf tin and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, turn out onto a wire rack.
- Once cool, slice into bars and pop into lunchboxes.
- Can be frozen.
- NB: If texture is an issue you can grind up the sunflower and chia seeds before adding to the mixture.