Smoothies are a staple in our home. Quick, easy and fun to make for the whole family.
We literally throw in a bit of this and a bit of that. But there are some constant main ingredients which provide a combination of nutrients which are going to keep us healthy and strong.
Within minutes we can blend up a healthy breakfast or snack which couldn’t be further from the processed white bread or sugared-up cereals often consumed for breakfast. It’s clean, it’s live, it’s delicious & nutritious!
Here’s one of my family’s favourite combinations:
- 3 cups of milk, coconut water & flesh or almond milk (your preference)
- ½ large avocado (has a neutral taste but thickens up the smoothie to an ice-cream like consistency)
- 2 small frozen bananas, broken up
- 1 – 2 scoops of frozen raspberries or 2 cups of sliced mango (fresh or frozen)
- A good dollop or two of natural yogurt
- A heaped spoonful of nut butter
- A nice pinch of cinnamon
- A pinch of vanilla powder
- Pop all these ingredients into the blender
- Blend & taste (the fruit, bananas and cinnamon usually provide enough sweetness for our family, but if you need a little extra, add a tablespoon of raw honey or some medjool dates)
- Pour and enjoy
- Overipe bananas & mangoes can be frozen and used in smoothies
- Freeze smoothie overnight, pop into lunchbox in the morning, should thaw by lunchtime : )
1. Coconut – the water is low-calorie and high in electrolytes, the meat has healing properties because of it’s high lauric acid content
2. Natural yogurt – is a high-quality protein, is rich in vitamins and minerals & is a wonderful natural probiotic
3. Nut butter – great source of protein, good fats and dietary fibre
4. Cinnamon – provides flavor and natural sweetness, digestion and good for blood sugar levels
5. Avocado – It’s considered a superfood and contains good fats & has beautifying qualities
6. Raspberries – are low GI and jam-packed full of anti-oxidants
Why not whizz up this smoothie to a lick-your- lips experience! Or create your own version this week and drop me a line and let me know your favourite combinations.