Chai Date and Sesame Biscuits
I’m always looking for the best way to get the most out of my healthy treats in terms of both taste and nutrition, so sometimes creating a recipe is kind of a process of working backwards.
I’ve been keen to find ways to use sesame seeds in my recipes because why not always try to add in some tasty nutrition.
Here’s a snapshot of why we want to try to include them:
- they provide a fantastic source of calcium
- they include a high supply of energy
- they offer the liver protection
- sesame seeds helps in healing wounds faster
- they are a great source of antioxidants
- provide a great source of fat for the brain
These biscuits are inspired by my favourite Middle Eastern biscuit my Mum makes called ‘Klecha’ and if you ask my kids, you won’t be one bit sorry you made these! Into the lunchboxes they go!
If you’re looking for more recipe inspiration take a look at my ebook, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes.
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved and take the guess work out of what delicious, healthy food to pack your kids for lunch!
Most of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite-shop, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They offer amazing quality ingredients and value for money and they stock all my favourite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Here are most of the ingredients you’ll need:
CHAI DATE AND SESAME BISCUITS
- 125 grams butter softened
- 1/3 cup rapadura or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour or buckweat flour for gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- tiny pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until light and fluffy (around 3-5mins.
- Add egg, beating until just combined.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and add all the spices and stir until combined.
- Stir through chopped dates.
- Put sesame seeds into a small bowl.
- Shape large tablespoons of dough into balls and dip one side into the sesame seeds and place on the tray. Continue until all the balls are lined up on a tray.
- Using the back of a fork gently press down on each biscuit.
- Place in oven for 8- 10 minutess, turning tray once.
- Remove from oven and cool on tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Place the sugar into mixing bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 9
- Place butter and vanilla into mixing bowl and mix 2 min/speed 6
- Add egg, flour, baking powder,spices and salt and knead 30 sec
- Add dates and mix 10 sec/reverse speed 3
- These are a fantastic addition to school lunch boxes.
Otherwise feel free to pm me your photos via Facebook.