Date & Cinnamon Muffins
By now the secret’s out that I’m … I mean, my kids are … partial to the muffin.
They’re one of the handiest snacks I can think of. Each morning I simply grab one and throw it into the kids’ lunchboxes, which also means I have one less thing to think about.
I love knowing that my kids are getting a good dose of quality fats from the butter at recess time. The dates are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, and the cinnamon has warming, medicinal (anti inflammatory & blood-sugar stabilising) benefits.
And I love the little muffin yelps from the kitchen that grow louder through the day, breaking me down to the point where I acquiesce and, yes, enjoy one around 3pm with my last tea for the day.
This creation is a current fave of ours, and we truly can’t get enough. Thermomix Instructions below.
If you’re looking for more recipe inspiration, take a look at my new recipe ebook which is getting rave reviews, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes.
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
- 100 grams Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or rapadura sugar)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 cup white spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125 grams unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and grease 12-hole muffin tin.
- Mix dates, sugar, bicarb of soda and cinnamon in a bowl and pour over boiling water and allow to sit for 5 mins.
- Add the flour, baking powder, melted butter & beaten egg and carefully stir.
- Fill muffin holes to ¾ full and cook for 20-30 mins depending on your oven. Mine take 20 mins.
- Thermomix Instructions
- Chop dates for 5 seconds, speed 6 and pop into medium sized bowl together with the sugar, bicarb of soda, cinnamon and boiling water, and allow to sit for 5 mins.
- Melt the butter at 100 C for 2 minutes, speed 1.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the thermomix (including date mixture) and mix 5 seconds on speed 6.
- Push down the sides and mix a further 2 seconds on speed 5.
- Fill the greased muffin holes to 3/4 full and cook for approx 20-30mins depending on your oven. Mine take 20 mins.
- Pour yourself a cup of spiced chai tea, grab a muffin, lather it with butter and enjoy!
If you share them on instagram, remember to tag me @brendajanschek. Otherwise feel free to pm me your photos via Facebook. I get a total kick out of seeing you bring my recipes to life.
And remember, if you haven’t already, grab your copy of Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes here.