Savoury Cheese Muffins
When my friend brought these Savoury Cheese Muffins to a picnic they were a big hit! When I asked her for the recipe she explained it was from her mum and sent me a a pic of the recipe written up 25 years ago in her old recipe book.
Some of the measurements were missing, including the amount of flour, but her mum suggested to just add enough flour to make a semi thick mixture : )
As usual mums back then never wrote down recipes, they just went by look, smell and taste.
This is my adapted, ad libbed version which I recently took to a picnic and they went down a treat!
Note the dried mint goes perfectly with the cheeses and gives the muffin a lightness and lift.
This recipes uses spelt flour, aluminium-free baking powder and bicarb soda, organic olive oil…. which you can grab from my one-stop-favourite-shop wholefood online store, The Wholefood Collective. Check them out, their prices are highly discounted and they stock all my favourite products.
- 1 cup milk
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup mild extra virgin oil oil
- 2 & ¾ cup spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1cup romano cheese, grated
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup cheddar or tasty cheese, grated (extra to sprinkle on top)
- cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin cases
- preheat oven to 180 degrees
- In a jug whisk together milk, eggs and olive oil.
- Into a large bowl add the flour, baking powder and bicarb soda, all the cheeses, black pepper and dried mint .
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it.
- Stir lightly with a fork until almost combined. (the batter should be lumpy, don't overmix) Spoon into muffin tin and sprinkle with remaining cheddar.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean and muffins are golden on top.
- Allow to cool in tray for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
If you make this recipe please do take photos and send them to me.
Other similar recipes you might like are Egg Muffins and Rich and Delicious Chocolate Muffins (with vegetables!).