Natural Libido Enhancers
There is actually no guiding number to define a low sex drive. However, if you feel like your desire to get down to business is waning, here are some natural boosters that may help!
Guest blog by Renée Leonard-Stainton
- Ylang Ylang: Considered as one of the most powerful aphrodisiacs, ylang ylang increases libido and attraction between lovers. It energises you, intensifies eroticism and is good for opening the mind to sexual experimentation.
- Neroli: A powerful aphrodisiac used to combat frigidity and increase libido.
- Sandalwood: The sweet, woody exotic scent enhances physical sensuality and makes lovers more sexually-liberated. Considered a sexual restorative, it induces a state of calmness and serenity and also relieves nervous tension.
- Damiana: Its botanical name, Turnera aphrodisiaca, hints at its reputation as a libido-enhancing plant. The ancient Mayans used damiana for its sexual properties and for centuries, Mexican women have been brewing tea from the plant’s leaves to improve their sexual satisfaction. Damiana has been shown to increase sensitivity in the clitoris, as well as stimulate sexual desire and pleasure. It also strengthens the hormone system.
- Horny Goat Weed: Is thought to be one of nature’s most powerful herbal aphrodisiacs, and has been used in Chinese traditional medicine for centuries to support libido and sexual enhancement. The name is said to have arisen because according to legend, the aphrodisiac qualities were discovered by a Chinese goat-herder who noticed mounting behavior dramatically increase after they ate the weed!
- Ginseng: Contains compounds that stimulate the hypothalamus gland to invigorate sex drive. It also acts locally on the vagina and clitoris to increase genital blood flow, which enhances lubrication, sensation, and arousal.
Maca berry: It is increasingly becoming known as one of the best super-foods in the world for sexual health and wellbeing. It’s especially good for women because it doesn’t contain hormones itself (rather it supports the glands to produce necessary hormones), it’s non-addictive and re-establishes hormonal balance in women. All this helps you restore your natural sex drive!
- Oysters: A classic aphrodisiac! Oysters are high in zinc, which raises testosterone production. Oysters also contain dopamine, a hormone known to increase libido.
- Avocado: Avocados contain high levels of folic acid, which helps metabolize proteins, giving you more energy. They also contain vitamin B6 and potassium, two nutrients that help increase libido in both men and women.
- Garlic: Bad on the breath, but good for the sex-drive! Garlic contains allicin, an ingredient that increases blood flow to the sexual organs, meaning it’s a highly effective addition to the diet to increase libido. You can always give the odourless capsules a go if you don’t want to have to stock up on mints pre love sesh…
- Chocolate: Contains phenylethylamine, a natural chemical believed to produce the feeling of “being in love”. Choose, dark, organic chocolate for the best results!
Remember that fluctuations in your sex drive are a normal part of every relationship and every stage of life. Nurture yourself and your partner, and you are sure to be feeling the love again in no time.
About Renée Leonard-Stainton
Renée is a Naturopath, Nutritionist, and Western Medical Herbalist, as well the creator of the popular blog ‘Renée Naturally’. Renée is a regular health contributor to various magazines, radio shows, and blogs and is the resident Naturopath for supermodel Miranda Kerr’s website, KORA Organics.
Renée is dedicated to providing information to help people on their path to a healthy and earth friendly existence.