Crunchy Gemfish and Babaganoush
During the shoot for my eBook, Real Food for Hungry Teens, I mentioned to my graphic designer/ photographer/stylist, Kady O’Connell, that fish is the one food where I struggle to get my kids on board.
Lucky for me, Kady is also an amazing recipe blogger and she immediately shot out two recent recipes she had created involving seafood, offering to share with me so I could try and blog it for others feeling fish-challenged. Clever girl that Kady!
I can honestly say that we all LOVED this dish, I wasn’t sure I’d get the kids over the line with the babaganoush, so I did mash potato (or as I like to do a cauliflower, sweet potato and potato mash) for them instead, but they tasted the baba and loved it too.
Kady recommends using the same recipe for the crunch, to make a granola – she keeps the mix in an jar and uses it on everything!
- 2 x fillets of gem fish ( or any other meaty white fish)
- sea salt
- CRUNCH TOPPING
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp oats
- 1 tbsp quinoa
- 1 tsp walnuts, crushed
- 1 tsp hazelnuts, crushed
- 1 eggplant (choose a heavy dark one - they have less seeds)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley
- Turn the grill on to the highest setting and put the whole eggplant under it. Leave for 5-10 minutes then turn sides - it should be completely soft and the skin starting to burst when its done.
- Take the eggplant out from the grill , cut off the top and peel away the skin.2. Place crunch mix in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for 10 minutes. Then add all crunch ingredients to food processor and blend to a crumb.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Rub the gem fish with a little coconut oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the crunch mix on top of the fish
- Place the fish in the oven at 180 degrees celcius for 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the fillet. Use a knife to check if its cooked through.
- Place the eggplant meat into a food processor/ blender with the other babaganoush ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Spoon the babaganoush onto 2 plates and top with the gemfish.
- Are you dealing with daily sugar cravings, poor digestion, foggy brain, stubborn weight gain, skin problems, exhaustion and countless other conditions that you’ve learnt to just put up with? Then you need to try this simple cleanse that’s easy, delicious and fits in with the family!FIND OUT MORE!