Hearty black bean and sweet corn quesadilla
This is a recipe I created especially for my 12yr old son Orlando, for the recipe eBook we wrote together, Real Food for Hungry Teens.
As it’s his favourite recipe from the book, we thought we would share it with everyone.
I kept his love of bold, punchy flavours in mind and I was absolutely bang on cause he LOVES this recipe!! Even my capsicum/coriander-sceptic (to put it mildly) daughter gobbles them up (what a relief to get all those extra veges into her!).
The best part is that they make a versatile breakfast (#thinkoutsidethecerealbox) lunch or dinner option.
Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They go to great lengths to ensure everything they source is amazing quality, they stock all my favorite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Oh and the cherry on the cake is they donate profits to improve food security for vulnerable Aussies.
Here are some of the ingredients you’ll need:
HEARTY BLACK BEAN AND SWEET CORN QUESADILLA
- 1 tin of black beans or you could kidney beans or a mix
- Juice of half a small lime
- Pinch of sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon chilli flakes or powder optional
- Quarter of a small red onion finely chopped
- Half a large corn on the cob kernels sliced off
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander finely chopped
- Quarter of a large red capsicum finely chopped
- Half a zucchini finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5-6 Mountain Bread Wraps
- Sour cream
- Avocado roughly mashed with a squeeze of lemon or lime
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Place the black beans in a large bowl and lightly crush with the back of a fork so some of the beans split open.
- Squeeze in the lime juice, adding salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chilli flakes and stir.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat.
- Place half a cup of the mix into the middle of a Mountain Bread wrap.
- Fold long side over, followed by short side, then long side then short side to make a package or pouch.
- Place folded side down into the frying pan and cook until lightly golden browned and crispy and cheese has melted.
- Using a spatula carefully flip the quesadilla and cook the other side until lightly golden brown.
- Either serve whole or cut into triangles and serve with a side of sour cream and/or guacamole.
If you’re looking for some lunch inspiration, take a look at my recipe ebook, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes. It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!