Rich and delicious chocolate muffins (with vegetables!)
A lovely friend of mine runs the most awesome kids cooking classes in Melbourne.
If you haven’t already heard of it yet, it’s called Mish’s Dishes. We first discovered each other through Facebook (as you do!) and have stayed in touch over the last couple of years, offering support, ideas and sharing recipes.
The following recipe is inspired by Mish and is a recipe she shared with me for one of my kid’s cooking classes. It is just so decadent and delicious that even my conservative mother-in-law and teen nephew inhaled them. What’s really special about them is not only do you get an extra burst of goodness by adding the zucchini and carrot, but they combine to produce the most wonderfully moist, rich texture. So they aren’t just in there for the ‘healthy factor’!
Who’ d have thought that combining chocolate and veggies in this way would be so delicious?
Try it and find out! (The recipe makes a lot, so you can also halve the recipe and make smaller muffins, just perhaps reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes).
Rich and Delicious Chocolate Muffins (with Vegetables!)
- 275 grams butter room temperature
- 1 cup rapadura sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 1/2 cup milk optional, use if mixture is too dry
- 1 zucchini grated and squeeze out the moisture
- 1 carrot grated and squeeze out the moisture
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Stir in the yoghurt and milk if using
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cacao, baking powder, bicarb of soda and salt
- Pour into the creamed mixture and fold ingredients together until just combined
- Fold in zucchinis and carrots
- Fill the paper case until 2/3 full
- Bake for approximately 2o – 25 minutes or when toothpick comes out clean
- Cool in the tray for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire rack.