Sweet potato, corn and wild salmon fritters
I just love packing dinners full of nutrition!
The benefits of eating wild tinned salmon, soft bones and all, are massive!
The high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids has heart, retinal and neurological benefits.
Also, eating the soft, delicate bones of the salmon provides a huge dose of calcium which is so important for building and maintaining strong bones and reducing the risk of bone fracture later in life.
Calcium is so important for teeth, muscle and nerve health too. And just so you know, the soft bones can’t be detected once they are cooked.
If you add sweet potato into the mix, then you’re really packing a nutritional punch.
It contains Vitamin A (beta-carotene), Vitamin C and manganese and decreases the risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and overall mortality while promoting a healthy complexion, increased energy, and overall lower weight.
Not to mention building immunity, vision, cancer, aiding digestion and blood pressure.
Isn’t it amazing what food can do?!
I have included these super ingredients plus a few more powerhouse ingredients to bring you this easy peasy fritter recipe for you and your family to enjoy!
Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They go to great lengths to ensure everything they source is amazing quality, they stock all my favorite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Oh and the cherry on the cake is they donate profits to improve food security for vulnerable Aussies.
Here are some of the ingredients you’ll need:
Sweet Potato, Corn and Wild Salmon Fritters
- 2 medium sweet potato chopped into 2 cm cubes
- 310 grams wild tinned salmon I used 1 x 210g tin and 1 x 100g tin
- 1/2 cup organic corn kernels
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup homemade breadcrumbs I make my own by popping some sourdough into the food processor/Thermomix
- Handful parsley or coriander finely chopped
- Zest of half a lemon optional
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup spelt flour
- Steam sweet potato until tender, approx 8-10 minutes then mash in a bowl and allow to cool.
- Mix together all the other ingredients then add cooled sweet potato.
- Pop olive oil or coconut oil (or a mix of the two) into a frypan on medium heat.
- Place a quarter cup of spelt flour into a shallow dish.
- Form the mixture into half palm size fritters, and lightly coat both sides of the fritter on both sides and place into hot (but not smoking) frypan. Cook for approx 3-4 minutes each side, or until golden brown, and then set aside and continue until all fritters have been cooked.
- Serve on a bed of baby spinach with a tomato and avocado salsa and a slice of lemon. Add a side of pesto, homemade mayonnaise or a yoghurt sauce for extra yumminess and nutrition.