Lamb, Feta and Spinach Gozleme
This mouth watering Turkish meal had been on my mind for weeks…
I was going to buy some from a local takeaway but my daughter warned me that the dough was more like Lebanese bread than the Gozleme dough which just wouldn’t cut it in the craving Gozleme department. I absolutely love the gozleme you can buy at food stands at markets and sporting events, but because of lockdown during Coronavirus, I had no choice but to DIY!
I made the pastry from scratch which was dead easy but had to ring in number one son to roll out the dough which I never enjoy doing as a bit of effort and elbow grease is required. I filled it with savoury fillings such as lamb, spinach and cheese and was able to more than satisfy those incessant cravings satisfied and the whole family absolutely loved them too!
The recipe made one gozleme each for the four of us which I served with a side salad and we found these to be a lot more filling than we expected so it made for quite the hearty dinner. Noting we’re a family of big eaters too!
Lamb, Feta and Spinach Gozleme
- 2.5 cups unbleached plain flour
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500 grams grams lamb mince (or you can use beef if you prefer)
- 1 fresh red chilli, seeds removed, chopped finely or you can use a sprinkle of chilli flakes
- 100 grams baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 120 grams feta, crumbled
- handful fresh mint, finely chopped
- handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil per gozleme
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add olive oil and water and mix with a spoon until well combined. If dough is too dry add more water, a bit at a time.Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, around 10 minutes. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside for 30 minutes.
- In a medium frying pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion for a few minutes until soft then add garlic and saute for a minute.Add the lamb mince and break it up with a wooden spoon and cook for 10 minutes or until browned. Stir through the chilli, add the spinach, mint and parsley and stir for another 30 seconds then set aside to cool slightly.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portion and roll into a rectangle around 12 x 10 cms.Fill the middle of the dough with about 4-5 tablespoons of the lamb mixture and add ¼ of the feta (30 grams).Fold over the edges of the dough and flatten out the gozleme with your hands by gently adding pressure. Repeat with remaining dough.Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and brush each gozleme with olive oil on both sides. Add to pan and cook each gozleme for a few minutes each side until golden brown and crisp. You can also cook on the BBQ.Cut each gozleme in half and serve with lemon wedges and a big salad.
If you make this recipe and share on instagram remember to tag me @brendajanschek.
Otherwise feel free to pm me your photos via Facebook.