Lemon Yoghurt Poppyseed Cake
Whet your appetite with this deliciously moist and zesty lemon cake.
I’ve been a busy Lizzy creating recipes for my upcoming lunchbox ebook (we start shooting it next week, eeek!) but with an abundance of lemons and poppyseeds, I decided it was time to create a new simple cake recipe for the blog while I was at it.
This cake is deliciously tangy and lovely and moist due to the yoghurt and olive oil.
It’s bright, tangy taste pairs perfectly with a good dollop cream and sweet, tart berries.
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2-3 tablespoons poppyseeds
- ¾ cup rapadura sugar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup yoghurt
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Grease and line a loaf tin or square tine with baking paper
- Place the flour, baking powder, coconut, poppy seeds and rapadura sugar into a large bowl and mix to combine creating a well in the centre.
- Place the oil, eggs, yoghurt, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla into a jug and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well of the dry and mix until just combined
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted removes cleanly. Allow to cool for 5 minutes or so in the tin before removing it to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Best served with cream and berries.
If you make my recipes please take photos and send them to me, or if you share them on instagram, remember to tag me @brendajanschek or #brendajanschek, I’d love to see what you make!