Nana’s Coconut & Raspberry Slice
Food and family can provide such an intimate connection.
Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They go to great lengths to ensure everything they source is amazing quality, they stock all my favorite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Oh and the cherry on the cake is they donate profits to improve food security for vulnerable Aussies.
Here are some of the ingredients you’ll need:
Nana's Coconut & Raspberry Slice
- 1/3 cup rapadura sugar
- 100 gms butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam or see alternative in notes
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons rapadura sugar
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 175 degress and grease a 20 x 20 cm baking tin with butter and line with baking paper.
- Beat together butter and sugar for 2 minutes then add egg and beat until just mixed through.
- Stir together spelt flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add the flour mix into the butter mix and stir until just combined.
- Press this into the prepared pan.
- Spread a thin layer of raspberry jam onto the base, you don't want it too thick otherwise it can make the slice a little soggy.
- Pop the desiccated coconut, sugar and egg into a small bowl and whisk together with a fork.
- Gently spread the mixture on top of the raspberry layer.
- Pop into the oven for 30 - 40 minutes (check after 20 minutes and rotate the pan). The slice is ready once the top is golden.
Remove from heat and stir through 1 tablespoons of chia seeds which will thicken up the jam.
Allow to cool before spreading onto the base of the slice.
If you know someone who could use some healthy dessert inspo, please share this recipe with them!
Please take photos and send them to me, or if you share them on instagram, remember to tag me @brendajanschek. You know I get a kick out of seeing you make my recipes.
And if you haven’t done so already, grab a copy of my Free Breakfast recipe ebook below.