Spiced Quinoa Porridge
Here’s an exotic breakfast idea that will nourish your body and awaken your senses!
This quinoa porridge is choc-a-block full of goodness with just about all the ingredients containing powerhouse immune-boosting properties such as protein and zinc, iron and fibre, Vitamin C, lauric acid and so much more. And it’s gluten-free!!
The recipe makes enough for breakfast for two days. I just stash leftovers in the fridge and add more water to heat it up the next day. It’s so grounding and filling I can often skip lunch and just settle for an early dinner instead!
Just a little note to please try to buy your quinoa from Australia if you can, as there’s a sustainability problem in Peru, they can no longer afford to buy their own quinoa : (
- 1 cup quinoa
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt or whey
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spices like cardamom, nutmeg, cloves
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 - 2.5 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom water (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 1/4 cup chopped Turkish figs and Medjool dates
- Sprinkle of cinnamon and cardamom
- 1/2 cup mix of nuts and coconut flakes, raw or roasted (I love pistachios with this dish)
- Soak the quinoa overnight in warm filtered water, a pinch of sea salt and a tablespoon of yogurt. Rinse very well in the morning. This is to release all the bitter saponins and make the quinoa more nutritious and digestible.
- Warm the coconut oil in the saucepan, add the quinoa and mixed spices and toss for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the water and cinnamon sticks.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer, with lid on for approx 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and orange blossom water, vanilla, dates and figs. Stir through and simmer on a very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkling of cinnamon powder and the nut and coconut flake mix.