Oat, Seed & Date Bars
Yes, it’s true, this is my third recipe featuring dates.
It could have something to do with the fact that being Middle Eastern, growing up, a treat usually consisted of a Medjool date with a walnut stuffed inside. So I just love them.Yum!
You’re going to love this oat slice which is the quickest thing to make, totally scrumptious, and perfect for lunch boxes.
Practically all of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite-shop, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. Their prices are highly discounted and they stock all my favourite products! Here are the Oats, Spelt Flour, Medjool Dates, Rapadura Sugar, Chia Seeds, Sunflower Seeds.
You may also like to check out my popular recipe ebook, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes, much loved by long suffering, lunchbox making parents everywhere.
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
- 100 grams butter
- 1/3 cup coconut or rapadura sugar
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
- Grease and line a 9 x 22cm loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in small saucepan, once melted keep on very low heat and whisk in the sugar until smooth.
- Turn heat off, add dates and stir through. I highly recommend dipping the finger in to make sure it tastes ok.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour, oats, chia and sunflower seeds and stir until combined.
- If mixture appears too wet, add in more oats and flour and stir through
- Pour into loaf tin and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, turn out onto a wire rack.
- Once cool, slice into bars and pop into lunchboxes.
- Can be frozen.
- NB: If texture is an issue you can grind up the sunflower and chia seeds before adding to the mixture.
And remember, if you haven’t already, grab your copy of Easy Wholefood Luncbboxes here.
Other recipes you may like are my Raspberry Coconut Squares and the Orange and Poppy Seed Bars.