Orange and Poppy Seed Bars
My son brought some Orange and Poppy Seed Bars home from his food tech class to share and they were SO.DAMN.GOOD
So in usual Brenda style I set out to make the healthier version while the kids doubted I’d be able to match the tastiness (without all the sugar).
Lo and behold!
The kids went cray cray over my version, popped them in their lunch boxes each day, and have already asked me to make them again, and again …
These bars are so good that I just had to put this recipe into my Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes ebook which I’m excited to say is part of The Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle which went on sale today! The bundle is INCREDIBLE value with 47 eBooks, 33 eCourses, audios & workshops, 11 printable packs & workbooks and 2 summits all for just AUS $55!!!! My lunch box ebook alone is $15 just to give you an idea of the value. Offer ends Tuesday 2nd September so grab the bundle here before it’s too late!
- 165 grams butter, softened
- 1/2 cup rapadura or coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds soaked in 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 150 grams cream cheese
- 1-2 tablespoon honey or rice malt syrup
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Grease and line a slice pan with baking paper
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees
- Pop butter and sugar into a bowl and beat with an electric mixture until pale and creamy (1-2 minutes)
- Add one egg in at a time, beat well
- Add in the poppy seed/orange mixture and stir
- Add flour and baking powder and fold in
- Pour into the slice pan
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes
- Carefully turn onto a cooling rack
- Ice once completely cool
- ICING - simply pop all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth
- Using a butter knife spread icing onto cooled cake
- Slice into bars
- I stored them in the fridge
And please take photos and send them to me, or if you share them on instagram, remember to tag me @brendajanschek
Remember to check out The Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle here.