There’s no denying there are lots of muesli bar recipes out there, and while I’m not reinventing the wheel here, I have managed to create my own recipe that my kids (and hubby!) adore.
Because they are quick, nutritious and delicious, they make a fantastic lunchbox snack. You can always dial up the nutrition factor by utilising the beneficial fats contained in butter, controlled amounts of natural sugar, and the vitamins, minerals in the seeds
These are not like your average crunchy Muesli bar. Rather, they’re a softer, crumblier (but not too crumbly) version and make a great option to keep your kids happy, full and focused at school.
Because most schools have a nut-free policy, I have omitted nuts in favour of seeds for this recipe. Maybe you could add some almonds to a batch for home use!
If you’re looking for more recipe inspiration, take a look at my new recipe ebook which is getting rave reviews, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes.
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
- 1 ¼ cup of organic oats
- ½ cup spelt flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup dessicated coconut
- ½ cup mixed of sunflower seeds sesame seeds, pepitas (your choice)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apple or you could use sulphur-free sultanas, sulphur0free dried apricot or sugar free cranberries
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 90 g butter
- 3 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Grease and a 3cm deep, 16cm x 28cm (base) baking pan
- Pre-heat oven to 175 degrees C
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Melt butter, add honey and yoghurt and stir well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until mixture sticks together.
- Press evenly & firmly into the baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until top is golden.
- Cut into squares when hot and allow to cool.
- Once cold remove individual squares from pan and store in air-tight container.
Once cold remove individual squares from pan and store in air-tight container.
If you share them on instagram, remember to tag me @brendajanschek. Otherwise feel free to pm me your photos via Facebook. I get a total kick out of seeing you bring my recipes to life.
And remember, if you haven’t already, grab your copy of Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes here.