Pumpkin & Root Vegetable Soup
Neither of my kids like pumpkin very much (are they mad?!), but they’ll gobble up pumpkin soup like there’s no tomorrow.
My daughter isn’t very fond of carrots either, so this is a great way to include (read: sneak!) it into her diet.
The combination of pumpkin with root vegetables makes this a delicious, comforting soup, easy to digest soup for the whole family.
The picture you see is before the milk was added, it was my serving as I’ve never been a fan of milk. Omitting the milk just means the soup will be thicker and chunkier. Adding the milk makes it silkier and smoother, the way the rest of my family like it.
Easy to make everyone happy at dinner time with this one, but also perfect to pack for work or lunchboxes in an insulated container.
I’m often asked how to keep the food hot until lunchtime.
Well, it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3:
- Boil the kettle and then pour the water into the thermoses, be sure to pop the lids on
- Heat up the food
- Pour out the hot water add the warmed up food into the container, then pop the lid on immediately.
Here are my fave insulated jars which have lasted me years:
Thermos double wall food jar 475ml 16oz
In these containers I pack soups, pastas, any hot meals and also cold salads.
Kleen Kanteen TKCanister with insulated lid 8oz 237ml
I like this smaller size option to keep things cool like yoghurt, granola and fruit, overnight oats or to keep things warm like the chicken nuggets or smaller serves of things like soup, stew, pasta.
And f you’re looking for more lunch inspiration, take a look at my new recipe ebook, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes. It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
There’s even a delicious recipe for Kale and Cannelleni Bean Minestrone which my kids love taking to school in their insulated container.
Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They go to great lengths to ensure everything they source is amazing quality, they stock all my favourite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Oh and the cherry on the cake is they donate profits to improve food security for vulnerable Aussies.
Here are some of the ingredients you’ll need:
Pumpkin & Root Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped small pieces
- 1 large potato chopped medium pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato chopped larger pieces
- ¼ large pumpkin chopped larger pieces
- 2 cups homemade vegetable or chicken stock
- Good pinch of nutmeg
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat the butter and coconut oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion gently over low heat until soft
- Add the carrot, stir well and sweat over low heat for 5 minutes, add potato, sweet potato and pumpkin and continue to sweat for another 5-10 mins
- Stir occasionally to prevent them from sticking to the pan
- Stir in the stock, nutmeg and salt and pepper and bring to the boil and simmer until vegetables are tender (approx 10-15mins)
- Once slightly cool, pour into food processor and blend well
- Pour back into saucepan heat gently and add milk and lemon juice
- Serve hot
- Top with chopped parsley, natural yoghurt and sunflower seeds
Double the batch for freezer, leftovers or school lunchboxes
If you make this soup please do take photos and send them to me.
You might also like to check out my favourite soup round up, 7 Soup Recipes to Soothe the Soul.