Spicy Pork and Vegetable Nasi Goreng
This is a delicious family dinner recipes which doubles up for lunch the next day.
As a passionate home cook I’m all for the two- in- one dish. Life is full so I’m always looking for ways to save time, money and hassle.
Which means I’m all about making meals that can be cooked up one night for dinner, or prepped on the weekend, then packed for lunch boxes the next day, such as this recipe for Spicy Pork and Vegetable Nasi Goreng.
I love recipes like this which are just as delicious served hot or cold. I would suggest replacing the fried egg with a hard boiled egg for the lunchbox. Or you can leave the egg out entirely and still have a nourishing meal on hand. Oh, and remember to pick out the cashews to ensure it’s nut-free.
For more two-in-one dish inspiration take a look at the recipes in my Easy Wholefood Lunchbox eBook. All the savoury recipes can be made for dinner and doubled up, so for days afterwards you’ll have extra portions handy to throw into lunchboxes like a true lunchbox Ninja 🙂
Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They go to great lengths to ensure everything they source is amazing quality, they stock all my favorite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Oh and the cherry on the cake is they donate profits to improve food security for vulnerable Aussies.
Here are some of the ingredients you’ll need:
Spicy Pork & Vegetable Nasi Goreng
- Extra Virgin olive oil
- 3 Spring onions chopped
- 500 grams pork mince - or you can use chicken or beef mince
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated ginger root
- 1-2 red chillis deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 3 large kale leaves chopped (around 2 cups)
- 1 small zucchini chopped
- 4 large mushrooms chopped (around 1 1/4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1/2 cup dry roasted cashews or peanuts - I just pop them raw into a hot oven for 5 minutes or until slightly golden.
- 4 tablespoons coriander leaves chopped
- Lemon or lime wedges for serving
- 2 cups basmati rice cooked as per packet instructions
- Butter or ghee
- 4 eggs
- Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and saute spring onion for a few minutes.
- Add pork and break apart with a large spoon. Cook until browned, around 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and chilli. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add kale, zucchini and mushrooms, tamari and mirin and continue to saute for a few more minutes.
- Add cashews and stir to heat through.
- While pork and vegetable mix is cooking, remember to cook the rice.
- Towards the end of cooking pop butter or ghee into medium fry pan and fry the eggs, leaving the yolk runny if possible so it can ooze out all over the pork and rice.
- On a plate or in a bowl serve the rice with pork and vegetable mix with the friedegg on top. Sprinkle with lots of fresh coriander and serve with a lemon or lime wedge.
And remember, if you haven’t already, you can grab your copy of Easy Wholefood Luncbboxes here.