Smoothies are a staple in our home. Quick, easy and fun to make for the whole family.
We literally throw in a bit of this and a bit of that. But there are some constant main ingredients which provide a combination of nutrients which are going to keep us healthy and strong.
Within minutes we can blend up a healthy breakfast or snack which couldn’t be further from the processed white bread or sugared-up cereals often consumed for breakfast. It’s clean, it’s live, it’s delicious & nutritious!
Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They go to great lengths to ensure everything they source is amazing quality, they stock all my favorite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Oh and the cherry on the cake is they donate profits to improve food security for vulnerable Aussies.
Here’s one of my family’s favourite combinations:
- 3 cups of milk coconut water & flesh or almond milk (your preference)
- ½ large ripe avocado has a neutral taste but thickens up the smoothie to an ice-cream like consistency
- 2 small frozen bananas broken up
- 1 – 2 scoops of frozen raspberries
- 1-2 teaspoons raw honey optional
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup natural yogurt
- Handful of raw cashews
- A nice pinch of cinnamon
- A pinch of vanilla powder optional
- Pop all these ingredients into the blender
- Blend & taste (the fruit, bananas and cinnamon usually provide enough sweetness for our family, but if you need a little extra, add the raw honey or some medjool dates)
- Pour and enjoy
Freeze smoothie overnight, pop into lunchbox in the morning, should thaw by lunchtime : )
Check out these 6 health benefits you and your family will get from the wonderful nutritious ingredients:
1. Coconut – the water is low-calorie and high in electrolytes, the meat has healing properties because of it’s high lauric acid content
2. Natural yogurt – is a high-quality protein, is rich in vitamins and minerals & is a wonderful natural probiotic
3. Nut butter – great source of protein, good fats and dietary fibre
4. Cinnamon – provides flavor and natural sweetness, digestion and good for blood sugar levels
5. Avocado – It’s considered a superfood and contains good fats & has beautifying qualities
6. Raspberries – are low GI and jam-packed full of anti-oxidants
Why not whizz up this smoothie to a lick-your- lips experience! Or create your own version this week and drop me a line and let me know your favourite combinations.