Apple and Carrot Muffins
I always allow the kids some input into what goes into their lunchboxes.
They know the boundaries, so they never ask for anything too outlandish, but they appreciate being asked just the same.
Now I can take it a step further as I have the pleasure of actually creating recipes with my 12yr old food-loving son. And because he understands the balance of nourishment and taste, the upside to this little collaborative approach is that the food is more likely to be eaten rather than return home! Unsurprisingly, muffins are hot on their list of regular items.
Muffins are always a delicious treat, but it’s still a good idea to mix them up for variety. My own repetoire of muffins centre around Strawberry Yoghurt , Date & Cinnamon, Mix ‘n Match, Rich and Delicious Chocolate Muffins (with vegetables), and these healthy and delicious Apple & Carrot Muffins.
I always try to make my muffins as nutritious as possible, so in this recipe I added the sunflower seeds, carrots and apples to the staples, which include the best quality eggs, butter, flour, sugar and coconut I can find.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, roughly or finely ground
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 cup milk
- 100 gms butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
- Butter a 12 hole muffin tray.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, desiccated coconut, cinnamon, sunflower seeds and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, butter, milk and vanilla and add to the flour mixture along with the grated carrot and apple and gently mix through.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tray until 3/4 full and bake for approx 20 mins or when skewer comes out clean.
- Enjoy and share the recipe with your friends!
Here’s a little information on the benefits of each ingredient:
High in Vitamin E, magnesium and cancer-fighting selenium, anti-inflammatory, mineral-rich (great for bones), great for nerves and skin.
Protect against heart disease and cancer, high in anti-oxidants and vitamins (A, K, C and calcium).
Packed full of disease fighting vitamins (C & B-complex), and a rich source of antioxidants, minerals flavanoids and dietary fibre.
Go for pasture-raised or organic. High in Omega 3’s, Vitamin D, choline and selenium.
Full of vitamins (A, E, D & K), lauric acid, anti-oxidants anti-cancer properties.
Contains minerals, supports brain function, increases feelings of satisfaction and fullness, healthy fat, high in fibre.