Date & Cinnamon Muffins
By now the secret’s out that I’m … I mean, my kids are … partial to the muffin.
They’re one of the handiest snacks I can think of. Each morning I simply grab one and throw it into the kids’ lunchboxes, which also means I have one less thing to think about.
I love knowing that my kids are getting a good dose of quality fats from the butter at recess time. The dates are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, and the cinnamon has warming, medicinal (anti inflammatory & blood-sugar stabilising) benefits.
And I love the little muffin yelps from the kitchen that grow louder through the day, breaking me down to the point where I acquiesce and, yes, enjoy one around 3pm with my last tea for the day.
This creation is a current fave of ours, and we truly can’t get enough. Thermomix Instructions below.
If you’re looking for more recipe inspiration, take a look at my new recipe ebook which is getting rave reviews, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes.
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
Date & Cinnamon Muffins
- 100 grams Medjool dates pitted and chopped
- ½ cup coconut sugar or rapadura sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour, or unbleached plain flour
- 1 cup white spelt flour or unbleached plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125 grams unsalted butter melted
- 1 egg beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and grease 12-hole muffin tin.
- Mix dates, sugar, bicarb of soda and cinnamon in a bowl and pour over boiling water and allow to sit for 5 mins.
- Add the flour, baking powder, melted butter & beaten egg and carefully stir.
- Fill muffin holes to ¾ full and cook for 20-30 mins depending on your oven. Mine take 20 mins.
- Chop dates for 5 seconds, speed 6 and pop into medium sized bowl together with the sugar, bicarb of soda, cinnamon and boiling water, and allow to sit for 5 mins.
- Melt the butter at 100 C for 2 minutes, speed 1.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the thermomix (including date mixture) and mix 5 seconds on speed 6.
- Push down the sides and mix a further 2 seconds on speed 5.
- Fill the greased muffin holes to 3/4 full and cook for approx 20-30mins depending on your oven. Mine take 20 mins.
If you make this recipe please do take photos and send them to me.
If you share them on instagram, remember to tag me @brendajanschek. Otherwise feel free to pm me your photos via Facebook. I get a total kick out of seeing you bring my recipes to life.
And remember, if you haven’t already, grab your copy of Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes here.