Mix ‘n Match Muffins
You can’t please all of the people all of the time, said Lincoln. But darn it if I’m not gonna try with these mix ‘n match muffins!
My kids have different palates, one loving banana muffins, the other preferring anything that has even a passing resemblance to berries in it. But they both love coconut, which not all kids do.
In order to stop myself going completely na-na by making multiple batches, I base my mixture around banana, and create varying flavours from there.
According to your little blighters’ tastes (or your own), try adding dark choc chips to the plain banana, or add raspberry or strawberry to the mixture to make those flavours dominate. You can even increase the amount of cinnamon or coconut to your little heart’s desires!
Because muffins are the 8th wonder of the world, it’s hard to go wrong. With the mix ‘n match, it’s impossible!
They are great for breakfast, afternoon tea, and make a perfect healthy lunchbox snack.
If you’re looking for more recipe inspiration, take a look at my new recipe ebook which is getting rave reviews, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes.
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They go to great lengths to ensure everything they source is amazing quality, they stock all my favorite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Oh and the cherry on the cake is they donate profits to improve food security for vulnerable Aussies.
Here are some of the ingredients you’ll need:
Mix ‘n Match Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 125 gms melted butter slightly cooled
- 1 egg
- 1.5 cups milk I ran out of milk so used natural yoghurt this time and it was yum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup berry of your choice we like raspberries and blueberries, add a full cup if adding to the whole mixture
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease and line a 12 hole muffin tin
- In a large bowl sift spelt flour, baking powder and salt. Add coconut sugar, desiccated coconut and cinnamon and mix well
- In another bowl add butter, egg, milk and vanilla essence and stir well
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients then add banana and stir until mixed through but make sure not to over stir (if mixture appears a little dry you can always add another egg or a bit more milk)
- Spoon the banana mixture into half the muffin holes, filling the hole to ¾ full
- Then add your preferred berry to the remaining mixture and gently stir through and spoon the mixture into the remaining holes
- Sprinkle muffins with desiccated coconut
- Bake in oven for 20-25mins or until lightly golden brown
If you make this recipe please do take photos and send them to me.
And remember, if you haven’t already, grab your copy of Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes here.
If you liked this recipe you may also like these other delicious muffin recipes –