Cauliflower & Potato Soup
Aussie temperatures are hard to read at the moment, soaring to 34 degrees one day and plummeting to 20 degrees the next.
I took advantage of the cool change the other day and snuck in a wintery meal which I’d been planning to make, but hadn’t got around to – until now. Knowing that my opportunities would diminish as the summer really kicked in, now was my chance.
I pulled out my Thermomix Everyday Cookbook to make the Cauliflower Soup recipe, but found the recipe evolved right before my fingertips into a more nutrient-dense version that had my family licking the bowls! Memo to self: don’t take them out in public!
This soup is perfect for dinner or packed to take to work or school for lunch.
I’m often asked how to keep the food hot until lunchtime.
Well, it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3:
- Boil the kettle and then pour the water into the thermoses, be sure to pop the lids on
- Heat up the food
- Pour out the hot water add the warmed up food into the container, then pop the lid on immediately.
Here are my fave insulated jars which have lasted me years:
Lunchbots Insulated Stainless Steel Container 470ml 16oz
In these containers I pack soups, pastas, any hot meals and also cold salads.
Goodbyn Insulated Food Jar 12oz 350ml – Blue
I like this smaller size option to keep things cool like yoghurt, granola and fruit, overnight oats or to keep things warm like the chicken nuggets or smaller serves of things like soup, stew, pasta.
If you’re looking for more lunch inspiration, take a look at my new recipe ebook, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes. It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
There’s even a delicious recipe for Kale and Cannelleni Bean Minestrone which my kids love taking to school in their insulated container.
So I’m excited to say this is my first (adapted!) Thermomix recipe, but an easy one to make the conventional way too.
Here’s how to make it both ways:
- 30g parmesan, cut into cubes (optional)
- 600g chicken stock (I used home-made for all it's benefits) or 300mls chicken stock and 300mls water
- 600g cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- pinch of nutmeg
- Place parmesan into mixing bowl and grate 10sec/speed 9. Set aside.
- Place stock/water, cauliflower, potato and salt into mixing bowl and cook 15min/100 degrees C/speed 1
- Add butter and cook 5 min/100 degrees/speed 1
- and Blend 1 min/speed 9, gradually increasing speed from speed 1 to speed 9
- Add parmesan and cream and blend for 10 sec
- CONVENTIONAL INSTRUCTIONS
- Grate 30g parmesan. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan and add cauliflower and potato and sweat with lid on for 10mins
- Add stock and salt and bring to boil
- Simmer with lid on for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender
- Pour contents into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth
And if you make any of my recipes please take photos and send them to me, or if you share them on Facebook or instagram, remember to tag me @brendajanschek. I get a total kick out of seeing you make my recipes!
For more nourishing and soothing recipes, check out my soup round up, 7 Soup Recipes To Soothe the Soul.