Feel like a rich, slightly decadent breakfast that’s still simple and healthy?
This Chocolate Porridge is made with rolled oats and cacao and is rich, creamy and delicious and guaranteed to hit the spot. Not too sweet, easy and quick to make, great for snack leftovers or breakfast the next day, and full of nutritious ingredients packed full of fibre, magnesium, whole grains, and antioxidants.
I make mine vegan and dairy-free by using almond milk and I just love it with a teaspoon of peanut butter swirled in at the end, then topped with lots of different textures like berries, banana, coconut flakes, nuts and seeds and buckinis ….The options are endless!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups your choice of milk I used almond milk
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp raw cacao mixed with 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup or you can use rapadura or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tspn vanilla extract
- Pour the milk and 1/2 cup water into a saucepan. Add the oats and sea salt and bring to boil. Reduce to a light simmer and stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Whilst this is cooking, add the cacoa powder and 2 tablespoons hot water into a small bowl and mix to create a smooth paste.
- Add the cacoa paste, maple syrup and vanilla extract, to the oats. Mix well to combine and keep simmering for 5 minutes, mixing occasionally so the porridge doesn't stick to the bottom of the saucepan. Take off the heat but leave covered for a few more minutes to achieve more creaminess.
If you make this recipe and share on instagram, remember to tag me @brendajanschek.
Otherwise feel free to pm me your photos via Facebook.
If you’re looking for more recipe inspiration, take a look at my recipe ebook getting rave reviews, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes.
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
Other breakfast recipes you might like: