Easy Chicken and Vegetable Casserole
And so I keep creating and pumping out the healthy dinners for my family.
And sharing the successful ones here on the blog with you guys ?
Here are the pre-requisites for all my dinner recipe creations …
✓ Can be made quickly on busy weeknights
✓ The whole family will enjoy
✓ Can double up for lunchboxes – you can reheat this one up and pop in a thermos for school. For more lunch ideas you may like to check out my Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes ebook.
Despite the humble list of ingredients, the Easy Chicken Casserole sure does pack a punch of flavour, but feel free to experiment with more herbs and spices if you like.
If you have a flameproof casserole dish, you can cook the entire recipe up in it. I don’t have one, so I cooked everything up in a frying pan first (I had two going to cook the chicken), then transferred into a casserole dish before popping into the oven for another half an hour.
The result was a hearty and comforting bowl of deliciousness which hit the spot for the whole fam bam and could be heated up and taken to school in thermoses the next day.
Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They go to great lengths to ensure everything they source is amazing quality, they stock all my favorite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Oh and the cherry on the cake is they donate profits to improve food security for vulnerable Aussies.
Here are some of the ingredients you’ll need:
Easy Chicken Casserole
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 500 grams chicken thighs
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 carrots halved lengthways and cut into discs
- 2 potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour
- 400 ml (2 cups) boiling chicken stock
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme or oregano or mixed Italian herbs
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 zucchini diced
- ¼ broccoli cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- Heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish or large frying pan to medium heat (I used 2 frying pans for this step). Season chicken thighs and brown and seal on both sides for few minutes each. Remove and set aside (I just put them in the casserole dish I was going to cook them in) Preheat oven to 200ºC fan oven.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and potatoes to the pan, and cook, stirring, for around 10 minutes. Add the tomato and dried herbs and cook for further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. While the vegetables are cooking, chop the chicken into bite sized pieces and put back into casserole dish.
- Stir in the flour, cook for 2min, then pour in the stock and simmer for a few minutes (I heated up the chicken stock in one of the frying pans I had used to cook the chicken to save having to wash another dish). Season to taste, then pour over the vegetable/broth mixture. Add peas, zucchini and broccoli.
- Cover and cook in the oven 1 hr until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through and the sauce is piping hot and thickened. Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
If you make this recipe please do take photos and send them to me.
And remember, if you haven’t already, grab your copy of my Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes recipe book here.
It contains 40 scrumptious sweet and savoury recipes which are nut and refined-sugar free and perfect for any time of day.