Easy Chicken and Vegetable Casserole
And so I keep creating and pumping out the healthy dinners for my family.
And sharing the successful ones here on the blog with you guys 😉
Here are the pre-requisites for all my dinner recipe creations …
✓ Can be made quickly on busy weeknights
✓ The whole family will enjoy
✓ Can double up for lunchboxes – you can reheat this one up and pop in a thermos for school. For more lunch ideas you may like to check out my Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes ebook.
Despite the humble list of ingredients, the Easy Chicken Casserole sure does pack a punch of flavour, but feel free to experiment with more herbs and spices if you like.
If you have a flameproof casserole dish, you can cook the entire recipe up in it. I don’t have one, so I cooked everything up in a frying pan first (I had two going to cook the chicken), then transferred into a casserole dish before popping into the oven for another half an hour.
The result was a hearty and comforting bowl of deliciousness which hit the spot for the whole fam bam and could be heated up and taken to school in thermoses the next day.
Easy Chicken Casserole
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 kg chicken thighs
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 carrots halved lengthways and cut into discs
- 2 potatoes peeled and diced.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour
- 400 ml 2 cups boiling chicken stock
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme or oregano or mixed Italian herbs
- 1 zucchini diced
- ¼ broccoli cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- Heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish or large frying pan to medium heat (I used 2 frying pans for this step). Season chicken thighs and brown and seal on both sides for few minutes each. Remove and set aside. Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan oven).
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and potatoes to the pan, and cook, stirring, for around 5 minutes. Add the peas and tomato and cook for further 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. While the vegetables are cooking, chop the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Stir in the flour, cook for 2min, then pour in the stock (I heated up the chicken stock in one of the frying pans I had used to cook the chicken to save having to wash another dish). Season to taste, then return the browned chicken to the/a casserole dish and pour over the vegetable/broth mixture. Add zucchini and broccoli.
- Cover and cook in the oven 30min until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is piping hot and thickened. Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
And remember, if you haven’t already, grab your copy of my Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes recipe book here.
It contains 40 scrumptious sweet and savoury recipes which are nut and refined-sugar free and perfect for any time of day.