Chicken Noodle Soup
Craving comfort food in Winter is normal and nothing quite hits the spot like Chicken Noodle Soup!
This is real chicken soup for the soul. Packed with goodness and high on the yumminess scale, your family will soon be lining up for seconds just like mine!
This soup is perfect for dinner or packed to take to work or school for lunch.
I’m often asked how to keep the food hot until lunchtime.
Well, it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3:
- Boil the kettle and then pour the water into the thermoses, be sure to pop the lids on
- Heat up the food
- Pour out the hot water add the warmed up food into the container, then pop the lid on immediately.
Here are my fave insulated jars which have lasted me years:
Lunchbots Insulated Stainless Steel Container 470ml 16oz
In these containers I pack soups, pastas, any hot meals and also cold salads.
Goodbyn Insulated Food Jar 12oz 350ml – Blue
I like this smaller size option to keep things cool like yoghurt, granola and fruit, overnight oats or to keep things warm like the chicken nuggets or smaller serves of things like soup, stew, pasta.
If you’re looking for more lunch inspiration, take a look at my new recipe ebook, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes. It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
There’s even a delicious recipe for Kale and Cannelleni Bean Minestrone which my kids love taking to school in their insulated container.
Some of the ingredients like the noodles, organic extra virgin olive oil you can grab from my one-stop-favourite-shop wholefood online store, The Wholefood Collective. Their prices are highly discounted and they stock all my favourite pantry products.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 corn on the cob, kernels removed
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 litres of homemade chicken broth
- 400 grams cooked chicken
- 200 grams soba noodles (or you can use vermecilli or udon noodles)
- 2 large mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 5 kale leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 - 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add carrot, celery, onion and corn and cook for 5 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and cooked chicken and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add soba noodles, zucchini and mushroom and simmer for another 3 minutes (10 minutes for udon noodles and pop zucchini, mushroom and kale in the last 3 minutes)
- Add parsley and lemon juice and stir through.
- Serve in bowls topped with parsley and season to taste.
- Before I started making the soup, I popped a stack of chicken wings/legs into the oven to roast with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper and cooked for 45 minutes. Some were used for lunchboxes, and the rest I shredded the meat off the bones and used that for the soup.