Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pie
Quick and easy family meals is the name of the game around here and this recipe answers the brief!
This pie offers perfect healthy comfort food for those cold wintery nights or when teamed with a big, crispy salad is perfect for those warm summer nights too.
If your body does better without too much wheat or gluten, just keep a serving of the chicken mix just for you before it meets the pastry. Enjoy it with the sides suggested in the recipe below. It’s truly delicious!
Chicken, Leek & Mushroom Pie
- Olive oil or ghee
- 1 medium leek chopped
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 600 grams chicken thigh diced
- 1/4 cup home-made chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons thick cream
- 300 grams mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour or rice flour if gluten free
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon herbamare optional
- 1 teaspoon dulse flakes optional
- pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 1 sheet of shortcrust or puff pastry - I use the Careme brand or Pampas All-Butter pastry
- 1 small egg lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Heat some olive oil or ghee in a large frying over medium heat.
- Gently fry leek and onion for a few minutes until translucent, then add garlic and fry for a couple more minutes.
- Add the chicken and fry for approx 10 minutes or until just cooked, stirring it around intermittently.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add spelt flour, stir in and fry for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the liquid, followed by the mustard, herbamare and dulse flakes, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put the chicken mix into a baking dish ( I used was 29cm x 9cm) and cover with the pastry.
- Brush on the lightly beaten egg and using a sharp knife puncture a few slits through the pastry
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden.
- Serve with steamed vegetables, cauliflower mash or big garden salad
While you’re here you may like to check out my popular recipe ebook , Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes.
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
Other chicken dinner recipes you might like are Oven-Fried Chicken and Easy Chicken and Vegetable Casserole.
Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes eBook
Free Breakfast Recipe eBookAs far as breakfast cereal goes, I always say, “you may as well eat the box’, it’s probably more nutritious than what’s inside! Here are 5 things to think about before you reach for the boxed cereal in the supermarket.Download Now
I made this tonight, the perfect dinner for a cold winter night!
So glad you enjoyed it x