These are full of flavour and zing but without the heavy, greasy aftermath of deep-fried chicken.
The way my whole family get excited for this Oven-Fried Chicken reminds me of when it was KFC night when I was a kid. But now we get mouthfuls of delicious flavour without that gross feeling afterwards. Blah.
And one of my biggest loves, no mess from frying either!
The mix of flour, spices and butter gives a fine crispy layer to the succulent chicken, and a burst of flavour with every bite. The little kick of curry is what makes this so delicious in my opinion.
Super easy to make, serve with oven-fried potato and sweet potato, steamed green beans and a green salad. Serve leftovers hot or cold the night after, or do as I do and pop in the kids lunchboxes the next day.
Some of the ingredients for this recipe can be found at my favourite one-stop favourite online shop, The Wholefood Collective, things like:
If you’re looking for more recipe inspiration, take a look at my recipe ebook which is getting rave reviews, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes.
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
- 1.8 kg mix of drumsticks and wings
- 1/2 cup flour, (I use spelt flour)
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- Lots of cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup butter
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Heat oven to 180 C.
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric, curry powder, mustard powder and oregano.
- Place butter in either one large baking pan or two medium sized baking pans. Place the pans in the oven to melt butter.
- Coat the chicken with the seasoned flour mixture, putting 2-3 legs at a time into the bowl and making sure each piece is well coated before transferring to the prepared baking pans with the melted butter.
- Drizzle the chicken with a little olive oil.
- Bake the chicken uncovered in oven for 45 minutes - 60 minutes. Turn the chicken after 30 minutes and cook until tender and golden brown.
- Serve with oven-baked potato/sweet potato fries, steamed green beans and large garden salad
And remember, if you haven’t already, grab your copy of Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes here.