My Favourite Homemade Granola
When we are ‘thinking outside the cereal box’, homemade granola makes a wonderful, delicious breakfast option
When we start thinking outside the cereal box, homemade granola makes a wonderful, delicious breakfast option.
The bought stuff is mostly high in sugar with industrialised oils and lots of other less than ideal ingredients, so just don’t go there!
This version has wholesome goodness by the mouthful. Filled with fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals galore from the oats and coconut flakes, healthy saturated fat from the coconut oil, protein from the nuts and seeds plus texture and that all important crunch, the cinnamon balancing out your blood sugar.
Granola is pretty forgiving, you can tweak and change to suit any taste. I personally go for a more less sweet, more crunch vibe, but go ahead and add in some sultanas or goji berries if that takes your fancy.
Serve as cereal with your favourite milk, or with yoghurt and fresh fruit. My kids also love grabbing it by the handful as an easy snack. You can also make this lunchbox friendly by using just seeds instead of nuts. Or my favourite way is as a parfait including chia pudding and fruit in the layers. This breakfast keeps me full until dinner time!
You can grab most of these ingredients from my favourite one-stop-shop, wholefood online store, The Wholefood Collective. Their prices are highly discounted and they stock all my favourite products!
- 2 cups gluten-free whole rolled oats
- 3 cups coconut flakes/chips
- 1.5 cup mixed nuts, chopped - I love a mix of brazil nuts, hazelnuts, cashews
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds - I love pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and chia seeds
- 1/2 cup sulphur free chopped apricots, or you can use dates
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup, maple syrup or raw honey- or add sweetness to taste
- Preheat oven to 160 C
- Line two baking sheets with baking paper
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Add coconut oil and sweetener and stir well
- Spread the mixture over the two baking trays
- Place in oven for 15 minutes until edges start to golden, then stir around and pop back in oven for another 5-10mins or until golden brown. Stir a couple of extra times during cooking if necessary.
- Keep in Mason jar in cupboard or fridge for up to 2 weeks.
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!