Quinoa Bircher Muesli
When your guest is dairy, gluten and egg free, some thought needs to go into what to make for brunch!
As a thank you to a handful of friends who were so supportive during the stress of my renovations, I wanted to organise a brunch to show my appreciation of their generosity, kindness, patience and friendship.
When I asked about any dietary requirements one of my guests let me know about her restrictions. My plan was to make/organise a few things separate and just for her, but then I thought why not we all just eat DF, GF and EF?!
When entertaining, I like to keep things as simple as possible. I don’t see the point of having people around if you’re just going to slave in the kitchen followed by all the cleaning up. So I wanted a recipe that I could make ahead and serve once my friends arrived.
It’s absolutely delicious served with My Favourite Homemade Granola (just replace the oats for quinoa flakes or extra coconut flakes for GF) with fresh or poached pears, a dollop of coconut yoghurt and a drizzle of raw honey. Or, with a mix of pistachios and pecans, fig, pomegranate and/or berries and a drizzle of date syrup. Yum!
Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They go to great lengths to ensure everything they source is amazing quality, they stock all my favourite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Oh and the cherry on the cake is they donate profits to improve food security for vulnerable Aussies.
Here are some of the ingredients you’ll need:
Quinoa Bircher Muesli
- 1 cup white quinoa rinse very well to remove bitter saponins
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or ground vanilla bean powder
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice approximately juice from 1 small orange
- 1 apple grated
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt use dairy yoghurt if not dairy free
- Place quinoa, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and vanilla in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Gently simmer without lid, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir through honey.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the apple, orange juice, yoghurt and stir to combine
- Pop into the fridge overnight then serve with poached or fresh fruit, granola or nuts and seeds, some extra yoghurt and a drizzle of your sweetener of your choice if you like.