Raw Cacao Balls
These raw cacao balls are full of goodness and are equally great for kids’ lunch boxes and for making hormones happy : )
Most of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite-shop, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They offer amazing quality ingredients and value for money and they stock all my favourite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Here are most of the ingredients you’ll need:
Here’s a breakdown of all the goodness in the balls:
Desiccated Coconut – full of fibre and good saturated fats (the medium-chain kind) which make you feel nice and full, and coconut has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties.
Cacao powder – a raw and unprocessed superfood that contains iron, fibre, zinc, potassium, calcium. The anti-oxidants can help your body decrease inflammation and slow cortisol (stress hormone) production, stimulating feelings of wellbeing and euphoria. Cacao is known to lower blood pressure, adding to a feeling of calm. NB: Cacao contains theobromine which is a mood enhancer so I don’t recommend it for kids under 2yrs of age.
Coconut oil – boosts HDL cholesterol (our good cholesterol), high in anti-oxidants also, antimicrobial. Balances blood sugar and detoxifying. The fatty acids in coconut oil help the hormones get to where they want and need to go in the body, and so support the creation, processing and elimination of estrogen and progesterone, leading to hormonal balance.
Raw honey – contains beneficial compounds such as pollens, enzymes and anti-oxidants, full of vitamins and minerals.
Maple syrup – contains lots of zinc plus other vitamins and minerals which have cardiac benefits.
Vanilla – contains anti-oxidants, calms the nervous system, fights infections.
If you’re looking for more recipe inspiration, take a look at my new recipe ebook which is getting rave reviews, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes.
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved!
Raw Cacao Balls
- 2.5 cups desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of raw honey or pure maple syrup or rice malt syrup add up to 1/3 cup of sweetener if needed
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Put all the ingredients into a food processor and whiz them together well (If you don’t have a food processor try mixing all by hand)
- Mixture should be wet but not soaked. If you find it too wet just add extra coconut and mix; too dry, add more oil
- Roll the mixture into tablespoons size balls with your hands then roll the ball into shredded coconut and place them on a cookie tray
- Pop them in the freezer for approx 20 mins or until they set (doesn’t take long)
- Either store in the freezer (where they become firm, but not frozen) or the fridge
If you make this recipe please do take photos and send them to me.
And remember, if you haven’t already, grab your copy of Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes here.