Five minutes is all it takes to make this oh-so-tasty Taco Popcorn recipe which makes the perfect healthy snack.
With my husband chaperoning Mr. 14 at his first 4-day golf tournament in the Hunter Valley, NSW, my daughter and I had a simpler (and less noisy!) week to ourselves.
This translated to uncomplicated dinners, noticeably less housework and nightly chick flick sessions cuddled up on the lounge. And what goes perfectly with movies? Popcorn!
But not just any old popcorn. I’m talkin’ serious stuff now. And seriously, Taco Popcorn is our new favourite snack!
Versatile enough to be enjoyed with margarita’s by the pool as well as in the school lunch box, you’ll love how easy this tasty popcorn it is to make!
Making popcorn is made easy with my popcorn machine, but you can certainly make it the old fashioned way in a saucepan as I explain in the recipe below.
I highly recommend making your own taco seasoning.
It’s easy, delicious, cheap and a much better option than the store bought varieties which are full of preservatives and artificial colours.
If you make a batch of the taco seasoning and have some leftover, mix it through your guacamole dip, add it to to your tacos or to my delicious Tex-Mex Burrito Bowl.
Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They go to great lengths to ensure everything they source is amazing quality, they stock all my favorite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Oh and the cherry on the cake is they donate profits to improve food security for vulnerable Aussies.
Here are some of the ingredients you’ll need:
If you’re looking for more recipe inspiration take a look at my popular ebook, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes. It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved and take the guess work out of what delicious, healthy food to pack your kids for lunch!
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder optional
- 1 teapsoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- In a small bowl mix together the chilli powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and cracked black pepper.
- I pop my popcorn in the popcorn maker I mention above
- Or, over medium heat up some olive oil or coconut oil in a medium saucepan and once the saucepan is hot, add in the popcorn kernels, pop the lid on and shake the pan to evenly disperse the kernels.
- Shake the pan intermittently to prevent kernels sticking and burning until all the kernels have popped
- Pour popcorn into a large bowl and add half the taco seasoning, taste test, and add more to suit your tastebuds then pour over the melted butter and stir very well.
If you make this recipe and share on instagram, remember to tag me @brendajanschek. Otherwise feel free to pm me your photos via Facebook.