Double Chocolate Banana Slab Cake
This Double Chocolate Banana Slab Cake is the answer to my prayers when it comes to feeding kids who are always hungry
My teens are always ‘STARVING’ and even when I double recipes, these days they gobble it all down in one hit which means sadly for me there are barely any leftovers to reuse or repurpose : (
For the sake of my sanity I’m determined to beat this and create meals and snacks which are nutritious and FILL ‘EM UP so I’m not constantly cooking!
Grab my ebook Real Food For Hungry Teens and fill those hollow legs!
So my first endeavour resulted in this Double Chocolate Banana Slab Cake full of ingredients to satisfy and satiate.
With nutritious ingredients like banana, oats, chia seeds, eggs, milk, butter, nut butter and a little avocado, this cake is the answer to my prayers to stop the incessant nibbling and nagging for ‘more food’ especially after school.
Most of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite-shop, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They offer amazing quality ingredients and value for money and they stock all my favourite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Here are most of the ingredients you’ll need:
If you’re looking for more recipe inspiration take a look at my ebook, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes.
It’s packed with 40 delicious nut-free, refined sugar free sweet and savoury recipes which have all been kid-tested and approved and take the guess work out of what delicious, healthy food to pack your kids for lunch!
If you need a nut-free icing take a look at my 10 Real Food Icing recipes here.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 115 grams butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup milk, can use any milk like almond, dairy, coconut, rice, oat ....
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup rapadura sugar
- 1.5 cups whole spelt flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder or Dutch processed Cocoa
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3/4 cup whole oats
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup nut butter, I used peanut butter because that’s what I had
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons raw cocoa powder
- 2 Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons avocado (can’t taste it but gives body to the mix and extra nutrition!)
- 1 tablespoon milk, you can use almond, dairy, rice, coconut etc, any will work
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Grease and line a 20 x 20 square tin
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas.
- Melt butter and pour over the top of bananas and stir. Add eggs, vanilla, milk and combine well.
- Sift in the flour, cacoa powder, baking powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon.Add chia seeds, whole oats and chocolate chips. Fold the mixture until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake approx 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto cooling tray. Cool completely before icing.
- Pop all ingredients into a small food processor and blend until smooth.
- Cut into squares or bars and store in air tight container or freezer.
Otherwise feel free to pm me your photos via Facebook.
Do you have hungry kids who are bottomless pits too?