Mexican Beef and Beans
Mexican Beef and Beans is a tasty dish for busy nights. It ticks all the boxes too – it’s healthy, the whole family loves it and it’s quick to prep!
I can always rely on my daughter to help me with meal planning inspiration. Like me, she lives to eat, and shoots out her dinner requests faster than a speeding bullet.
A recurring theme is Mexican, boy does she love it! Maybe it’s the spices or just the overall flavour profile or the fun component. Who cares, we all love Mexican food! From nachos, to tacos, to Tex-Mex Burrito Bowls, to chicken tortillas, even Taco Popcorn! Recently she had burritos at a friend’s house and has now requested ‘that soft flat bread mum’.
So this week I made Mexican Beef and Beans with soft flour tortillas and dear god it was just about the best thing we’ve eaten! I hope this recipe becomes a staple with your families too. It’s a great budget-friendly options that’s got veggies and red kidney beans, and with all the additions like avocado, charred corn, tomatoes and sour cream, it’s bursting with flavour the whole family will love.
Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be sourced from my one-stop-favourite, organic wholefoods online store, The Wholefood Collective. They go to great lengths to ensure everything they source is amazing quality, they stock all my favorite products and I don’t even have to leave the house! Oh and the cherry on the cake is they donate profits to improve food security for vulnerable Aussies.
Here are some of the ingredients you’ll need:
Tinned Black Beans
or, Red Kidney Beans
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Mexican Beef and Beans
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 2 tsps ground coriander
- 2 tsps ground sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsps ground chilli
- 500 grams beef mince
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 medium red capsicum, chopped
- 1 400 grams tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water or chicken, veggie or beef stock
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- handful coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in pan and saute onions until transparent. Add the garlic and all the spices and saute for 1 minute until fragrant. Add beef mince, and fry until brown, stirring frequently and breaking it up as you go. Add capsicum and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add tomato paste, stir through and fry for a couple minutes. Add the red kidney beans and liquid of choice and tamari simmer on low-medium heat for 20minutes. Add liquid if necessary if the mixture becomes a bit dry.
- Serve with soft flour tortillas, fresh coriander, charred corn, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce or red cabbage, diced avocados or guacamole and sour cream.
If you make this recipe let me know if your family loves it as much as we do, and please take photos and send them to me, or if you share them on instagram, remember to tag me @brendajanschek
You might also like these other family-friendly dinner ideas, Slow Cooker Chicken and Potato Curry and Middle Eastern Spiced Chickpea Rice.
Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes eBook
Free Breakfast Recipe eBookAs far as breakfast cereal goes, I always say, “you may as well eat the box’, it’s probably more nutritious than what’s inside! Here are 5 things to think about before you reach for the boxed cereal in the supermarket.Download Now