Slow Cooked Beef Short Ribs
This hearty, melt in your mouth, tender dish will be one your family will be begging for again and again!
You’ll be happy to know that there’s no need to sear the meat first. Not necessary at all because this turns out succulent, flavourful and falls off the bone just by throwing all the ingredients into a casserole dish and into the oven for a few hours. Love cutting back on steps ?
Which is why these beef short ribs features on my meal plan fridge list and it’s high time I blogged the recipe for you.
Because life is full, I’m all about cutting out extra steps in life, which is why I throw some potatoes to cook in the casserole dish with the meat, rather than make a seperate mash potato. The potatoes then soak up all the delicious cooking juices and the end result is delicious, soft, tasty potatoes.
If you have some extra time to make mash, I say go ahead, as they really are the perfect accompaniment to beef short ribs.
- 6 beef bone-in short ribs or around 1kg (I asked the butcher to cut them up to fit my casserole dish)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 cups mushrooms, thickly sliced (optional but adds a delicious flavour)
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 potatoes, thickly sliced lengthways
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons mixed dry herbs like rosemary, thyme, oregano
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock
- Preheat oven to 200 C
- Season the short ribs with sea salt and black pepper and put onion, whole garlic cloves, mushrooms, carrot and potatoes in a large casserole dish then the beef ribs on top.
- Sprinkle over the herbs and pour in the stock. Cover, reduce oven heat to 140 C and cook for 4 hours
- Serve with steamed zucchini, cauliflower and broccoli.
- Make sure to pour some of the delicious juices over the dish once served (you can see why mash potato makes a great options!)
If you know someone who could use some easy, healthy dinner inspo, please share this recipe with the, and while you’re at it feel free to share my FREE breakfast ebook.
If you make my recipes please take photos and send them to me via Facebook, or if you share them on instagram, remember to tag me @brendajanschek. I get a total kick out of seeing you make my recipes and I love to share them to inspire others.
Here are a couple more slow cooked dinner recipe ideas you might love – Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken and Potato Curry and Slow Cooked Lamb Shank and Barley Soup with Gremolata.
While you’re here you may like to check out my new recipe ebook which is getting rave reviews, Easy Wholefood Lunchboxes.