20 Reasons To Love Smoothies + 10 Recipes
Many of us may consider smoothies a passing fad, or trendy modern drink. In fact, their origin dates back to many years ago by Lithuanian holistic health practitioner Ann Wigmore, described as a food genius by The Vegetarian Times Magazine. I’d hedge a bet to say they are here to stay!
I personally love smoothies. I recommend them to my clients and on my women’s health Break Through! Program.
Not only are they quick, easy, and delicious, they help increase our quota of vegetables for the day as well as give our overloaded digestive systems a break.
What’s more, it’s easy to add in ingredients which also aid the digestion process.
Here are 20 reasons I love smoothies so much:
- Quick and easy to make
- Depending on the ingredients can be made in bulk and kept up to three days in the fridge or even frozen
- Incredibly nutritious
- Convenient as they are portable and you can take them with you as you fly out the door
- Helps to get your daily allowance of vegetables
- The blender does all the liquefying so it gives the digestive system a break
- Provides the body with essential nutrients without taxing the digestive system
- Anti-inflammatory foods can be included which may not be readily consumed like berries, ginger and chia seeds
- Ingredients which help with digestion, like cucumber and lemon, can be readily used
- Lots of detoxifying ingredients like kale and herbs can be added
- It’s jam packed full of other healthy ingredients like nuts, seeds, avocado, fruit, milk, spices, superfoods – the options are endless!
- They are full of fibre which can help digestion
- Helps get more healthy stuff into the kids
- Nice and filling and can see your through to lunch time so you don’t overeat
- Help fight hunger and cravings
- Lots of the good green stuff can be added in
- Can be custom made and any combination goes
- Great for weight management
Here are some of my favourite combinations…
Metabolism Boosting Beetroot Smoothie by Girls Guide to Health
Carrot and Tumeric Smoothie by Guide to Organics
The Best Beetroot Smoothie by The Holistic Ingredient
Iron Boosting Smoothie by Naturopath Naomi Judge
Clear Skin Smoothie: Nettle, Blueberry and Macqui by Ascension Kitchen
For the kids …
Simple Green Smoothie by Mamacino
Dreamy Creamy Breaky Boosting Buddha Smoothie by 123 Nourish Me
It’s worth noting that if you have digestive issues like IBS, constipation, diarrhea or acid reflux you should consult your health professional because certain fruits and vegetables may further irritate the digestive system.