Strawberry Yoghurt Muffins
Hubby likes to buy things and not tell me. So when I went poking around the fridge this afternoon I noticed strawberries crying for help.
While strawberry daquiri immediately sprung to mind, it was only 2pm … anyhow, for the second punnet, I took the sensible option and decided to use them to make muffins for school lunchboxes this week.
Mr 9 was in the kitchen lending a hand as usual. He just loves it so much! And he’s getting used to me snapping photos of him for my blog and social media, as you can probably tell by his wry smile.
Inheriting another munchkin after nippers, I soon had all three of them circling the hot-out-of-the-oven strawberry muffins like a pack of sharks. And I kid you not, the first bite sent their eyes rolling into the back of heads and into orbit. But all good things come to an an abrupt end, and it was a case of “Sorry kids! I’m a busy lady. The rest are for lunchboxes this week!”
I hope you all enjoy them. And just a little tip, it might be worth making a double batch : )
- 1 cup white spelt flour
- 3/4 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 3/4 cup coconut or rapadura sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups of washed and sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees and grease 12 muffin hole tin.
- Mix dry ingredients together - flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarb of soda, salt, cinnamon. Make a well in the middle.
- Mix wet ingredients together - butter, yoghurt, egg, vanilla and pour into the dry mixture well.
- Add sliced strawberries and gently fold mixture until combined. Don't over mix.
- Divide batter into muffins holes and top with extra strawberry slices and a sprinkle of sugar.
- Pop in oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer poked into middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Rest the muffins in the tin for 5 mins then turn out onto cooling rack.
- Muffins come out a little soft but will firm up on cooling.